Monday, July 4, 2011

Fireworks & the 4th of July

Happy birthday America!

Looking forwards to the fireworks tonight even though it is illegal to set off fireworks here in Ohio unless you have a licence.  Yes, you read that right, you can buy fireworks in Ohio but you have to take them out of the state within 48 hours.

I found this out a couple of years ago when I had selected a rather large array of rather large fireworks to celebrate the old pagan fire festival of Samhain (aka Bonfire Night).  The sales clerk gave me a form to sign stating that I would be taking the fireworks out of Ohio within 48 hours and was rather surprised when I told her that I was actually going to set them off.  Needless to say that she was not amused by my protestations that it can't be right that you can own a gun but not be allowed to set off fireworks.

On the 5th of November I'm pretty sure that I'd have had the whole local fire and police departments arriving at my house if I had set them off.  With tonight being the 4th July  I'll join my American friends in celebrating their county's birthday.

Have a good 4th everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment